The Pee Wee Special Attraction is a pre-Junior Showmanship class. The Pee Wee class is geared toward children 5 to under 9 years of age at all shows offering Pee Wee.
Each Pee Wee unit consists of the child, his/her parent/guardian/responsible adult, and the dog. Only one Pee Wee unit is in the ring at a time. This is not a competitive class, but rather a fun, learning experience for the child and the adult.
A dog must be at least four months of age to enter the Pee Wee class.
• Bitches in season will not be allowed to participate. If pre-entered, a dog may be substituted that meets the eligibility requirements as specified by the club.
• All dogs entered must have the proper lead and collar.
• A responsible adult must be present with the child both inside and outside the ring. The adult is to maintain control of the dog outside of the ring.
• At this All-Breed event, all AKC fully recognized and Miscellaneous Class breeds are allowed to enter, including dogs with a PAL listing. Safety is of the utmost importance. Dogs must be AKC registered to enter. Abilene KC members will have trained show dogs available for children who need to "borrow" one.
• In addition to an entry, a release must be signed by the child’s parent or legal guardian. Forms are available on the club website: abilenekennelclub.org (click on the dog shows and trials link). Release forms will be available at the show.
The safety of both the dogs and Juniors inside and outside the ring is a primary concern. Outside of the ring, the dog is to be controlled by the adult accompanying the child. An additional lead, provided by the Club, will be at the Judge’s table. At the Judge’s discretion based upon the size of the child and the dog, for safety purposes the adult may be asked to attach a second lead to the dog so both child and adult will walk the dog together.
Although the word “judge” will be used, this is designed to be a learning and mentoring experience—no Junior will be “judged” but rather will be mentored with the age-appropriate amount of information to help prepare them for what they will be expected to know about AKC regular Junior Showmanship once they reach 9 years of age. The children will be mentored one child, their adult, and dog in the ring at a time.
Each child will receive a participation award to commemorate the experience!